Here to help - we offer support accessing healthcare, overcoming issues at work or in education
Advocacy is the process whereby an individual or group is supported to have their opinions, needs and wishes heard regarding the decisions that affect their lives. The aim of our Advocacy Service is to:
- Empower you to take greater control of the decisions that affect you.
- Provide you with information to ensure that you can make informed decisions, assert your rights, and claim your entitlements.
- Support you to advocate for yourself or another migraine sufferer.
- Support you at meetings, where appropriate or feasible or write letters on your behalf or speak for you where you do not feel like doing so.
- Promote equality of opportunity and prevent discrimination and social exclusion.
How to advocate for yourself
We have produced a series of self advocacy resources to help you to understand the options that are available to you and make informed decisions when advocating for yourself, family member or a friend. Our advocacy resources have a lot of information about your rights in employment, school, higher education and when accessing medical treatment in the UK. We have also designed many template letters and forms to help you advocate for yourself, family member or a friend when challenges arise or things are unclear. The Migraine Trust promotes equality of opportunity and the prevention of discrimination in education, employment and accessing treatment in the NHS in the UK.
Our Advocacy Service is able to support you where you need further help. If you would like to be supported by us, please provide details by completing our contact form or telephone 0203 9510 150.
Please note we are experiencing problems with our telephone lines cutting out following our recent office move. The problem is outside of our control, but is being worked on by a telecoms company. Please bear with us while they resolve the problem and our apologies for any inconvenience it may cause. In the meantime, we recommend sending a message via our contact form to make an enquiry.
Our Advocacy Service is unable to provide:
- Legal advice
- Welfare Benefits advice (but we do have brief information on welfare benefits)
- Detailed medical advice or recommendations
- Advocacy for a course of action which is contrary to the aims and objectives of The Migraine Trust.
The Migraine Trust’s disclaimer can be read here.
The Advocacy Service aims to provide information and advocacy to empower migraine sufferers. We provide a voice for individuals and do not seek to influence or control their decisions in any way. The Advocacy Service reserves the right to refuse to advocate on behalf of an individual or for a specific course of action where doing so would be contrary to the objectives and values of The Migraine Trust. We encourage individuals to seek additional support services whilst receiving support from the Advocacy Service. As such The Migraine Trust does not accept liability for any loss or damage caused, or alleged to be caused, directly or indirectly by the service provided.
The Advocacy Service is only available to people in the UK. Please note, due to limited capacity we are unable to provide representation for every case. Due to limited capacity representation by the service will typically involve letter/email writing and phone calls on your behalf, however each case will be considered on an individual basis. If our service is unsuitable for you we will endeavour to signpost you to an organisation that can support you.