What data we collect
We will collect, and securely store, information you provide to us, this could include:
- Your name and postal address
- Your date of birth
- Your email address
- Your phone number
- Any information you have included in an enquiry form, email or telephone conversation with our support services team
- Your bank account or credit card details where you have supplied these to make a donation or payment
- Any information you provide in support of an application for a paid or voluntary role at The Migraine Trust
- Information submitted in support of an application for research funding
We also collect anonymous information automatically about your visit to our website, including location data, what pages you have viewed and which resources you have downloaded. This information is only used in aggregate form and cannot be used to identify you. In conducting this research a unique “cookie” may be placed on your internet browser.
How we will use your data
We process personal information according to the permissions you have given to us and for certain legitimate business purposes where we are confident such processing is not likely to prejudice your interests, rights and freedoms.
These purposes may include the following:
- Responding to your enquiry about migraine issues
- To process your donation and claim Gift Aid where appropriate
- To provide you with information about migraine research and treatment developments, for example by sending you our ebulletin or our journal Migraine News
- Informing you of ways in which you can get more involved, for example through our volunteer forum
- To ask you to support our efforts in raising funds to increase awareness of migraine and funding clinical research into migraine and its treatment
- To request your involvement in campaigns and policy activity. To use your responses and feedback to generate statistical information, and to determine the effectiveness of this area of our work
- Where you have given explicit consent, to use your experiences of migraine to help raise wider public awareness, for example in a media article
- The Migraine Trust uses data from research funding applications to enable us to award and manage our grants process, specifically:
- Personal contact details, education and employment history, including salary details, may be used in the selection process
- Research plans, including costings, and ongoing developments will be recorded and communicated to funders and people with an interest in migraine through feedback reports and a variety of communication channels, including our newsletter and social media
- We will retain active contact with researchers to enable the effective dissemination of research outcomes and to send invitations for peer reviews of future applications
- All data pertaining to submitted applications and funded research projects will continue to be securely stored electronically and/or in hard copy
Whenever we process data for these purposes we will respect your rights under current data protection regulations.
We sometimes use other companies to provide some of our services or to provide services to us, for example processing direct debit donations. To enable this activity we may require these companies to process your personal information on our behalf. Our staff and those working for our agents or contractors have a responsibility to keep your information confidential and are only allowed to use it to provide the services we have requested. We require all third parties we work with to have comprehensive data processing and security procedures.
We will never swap or sell your details to a third party without your explicit consent.
Choosing to opt out
You have the ability at any time to request that we no longer process your personal information by emailing email@example.com or calling us on 0203 9510 150. In addition, if you have signed up to receive our ebulletins you can unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the link at the bottom of the email.
If you do opt-out please bear in mind that this will limit our ability to carry out tasks for your benefit.
Your right of access
You have the right to see any information we hold about you. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0203 9510 150, we will respond to your request within 30 days. We will ask you to put your request in writing and provide proof of your identity. If you inform us of any inaccuracies in the data we hold we will make the necessary changes and confirm to you that these have been made.
If you wish to complain
We are keen to hear from anyone who believes we have fallen short of the high standards we set ourselves. Please see our Complaints Procedure for more information about how you can register a complaint and how The Migraine Trust will respond.
Changes to this policy
As a result of improvements we make to our services, amendments to laws or regulation or developments in the technology or processes we use, we may change the information we hold about you and/or the way in which, or the purposes for which, we process your information. We will endeavour to notify you of such a change and where necessary request your consent. However, unless you inform us otherwise, we will deem your continued use of our services to constitute your consent to the relevant change.